- Abandon the idea that you are ever going to finish. Lose track of the 400 pages and write just one page for each day, it helps. Then when it gets finished, you are always surprised.
- Write freely and as rapidly as possible and throw the whole thing on paper. Never correct or rewrite until the whole thing is down. Rewrite in process is usually found to be an excuse for not going on. It also interferes with flow and rhythm which can only come from a kind of unconscious association with the material.
- Forget your generalized audience. In the first place, the nameless, faceless audience will scare you to death and in the second place, unlike the theater, it doesn’t exist. In writing, your audience is one single reader. I have found that sometimes it helps to pick out one person—a real person you know, or an imagined person and write to that one.
- If a scene or a section gets the better of you and you still think you want it—bypass it and go on. When you have finished the whole you can come back to it and then you may find that the reason it gave trouble is because it didn’t belong there.
- Beware of a scene that becomes too dear to you, dearer than the rest. It will usually be found that it is out of drawing.
- If you are using dialogue—say it aloud as you write it. Only then will it have the sound of speech.
‘Cannery Row’ is one of the best books, and ‘Of Mice & Men’ can make a grown man cry. Steinbeck was a legend. Also; the third point here is vital, stellar advice.
1. That’s hard. One of the ways I motivate myself is having an end goal. But I can see why it would be detrimental.
2. What is revision? Baylife.
3. That’s hard too.
4. I like this.
6. Wow - never thought of this. But it makes so much sense.
Now I can go forth and profess to be a writer.
(via aamirgeddon)Source: nevver
- generationwhat reblogged this from writersfriend
- robert-f-kennedy reblogged this from seafaring-stranger
- robert-f-kennedy likes this
- seafaring-stranger reblogged this from nevver
- sols-sanctum reblogged this from stringsdafistmcgee
- axecop likes this
- dango-123 reblogged this from demongirlblaze
- dango-123 likes this
- demongirlblaze reblogged this from syruponsausage
- demongirlblaze likes this
- empledarling reblogged this from syruponsausage
- syruponsausage reblogged this from nevver
- stringsdafistmcgee reblogged this from undersaffiresky
- stringsdafistmcgee likes this
- dolores-agnelli likes this
- caitlyngilvary likes this
- writingsarah reblogged this from npr
- endlessmumbler reblogged this from rynnay
- moonages likes this
- zaertlichkeit reblogged this from thejazzloftproject
- strangesyntheticperfumes likes this
- doesgeniusburn reblogged this from englishistheartofbullshit
- cirquedereve likes this
- erusiel reblogged this from chopzz
- anuncommonloon reblogged this from time-converges
- annflo likes this
- theraindropstreasure reblogged this from anticsandshenanigans
- itscarlwithak reblogged this from npr and added:
- reorganizedremnants reblogged this from npr
- theraindropstreasure likes this
- anticsandshenanigans reblogged this from winterinthetardis
- thingsladamalikes reblogged this from npr
- surrealchamber likes this
- jack-and-jill reblogged this from nevver
- croatoanhasarrived2014 reblogged this from twritersdirectory
- croatoanhasarrived2014 likes this
- lovatosheart reblogged this from rainbowchromosome
- cheese-on-biscuits69 likes this
- rainbowchromosome reblogged this from mistyaiya
- rainbowchromosome likes this
- mistyaiya reblogged this from alphiriel
- elcementeriodelasmariposas likes this
- visiontouniverse likes this
- caffediansia likes this
- mistyaiya likes this
- seaandstardust reblogged this from alphiriel
- alphiriel reblogged this from krankaholic