- Abandon the idea that you are ever going to finish. Lose track of the 400 pages and write just one page for each day, it helps. Then when it gets finished, you are always surprised.
- Write freely and as rapidly as possible and throw the whole thing on paper. Never correct or rewrite until the whole thing is down. Rewrite in process is usually found to be an excuse for not going on. It also interferes with flow and rhythm which can only come from a kind of unconscious association with the material.
- Forget your generalized audience. In the first place, the nameless, faceless audience will scare you to death and in the second place, unlike the theater, it doesn’t exist. In writing, your audience is one single reader. I have found that sometimes it helps to pick out one person—a real person you know, or an imagined person and write to that one.
- If a scene or a section gets the better of you and you still think you want it—bypass it and go on. When you have finished the whole you can come back to it and then you may find that the reason it gave trouble is because it didn’t belong there.
- Beware of a scene that becomes too dear to you, dearer than the rest. It will usually be found that it is out of drawing.
- If you are using dialogue—say it aloud as you write it. Only then will it have the sound of speech.
‘Cannery Row’ is one of the best books, and ‘Of Mice & Men’ can make a grown man cry. Steinbeck was a legend. Also; the third point here is vital, stellar advice.
1. That’s hard. One of the ways I motivate myself is having an end goal. But I can see why it would be detrimental.
2. What is revision? Baylife.
3. That’s hard too.
4. I like this.
6. Wow - never thought of this. But it makes so much sense.
Now I can go forth and profess to be a writer.
(via aamirgeddon)Source: nevver
- really-saraleee reblogged this from a-bittersweet-life
- really-saraleee likes this
- littlebastard likes this
- rhymeswithwriter reblogged this from a-bittersweet-life
- cinehastings reblogged this from a-bittersweet-life
- nicolebog reblogged this from rackoflambert
- rackoflambert reblogged this from nevver
- mudbloodincendio likes this
- mutanteen likes this
- 33-cups-o-coffee reblogged this from elliegigglesxd
- kwamejaw likes this
- thewanderingknight likes this
- elliegigglesxd reblogged this from willbraham
- adicktive likes this
- willbraham reblogged this from nevver
- monstermuses reblogged this from he1iocentric
- olivescalypso likes this
- atpen likes this
- 100-acrewood likes this
- emptyacre reblogged this from aeonfly
- waiting-for-ada likes this
- sing-for-your-lover reblogged this from quockerwodger
- hreff6 reblogged this from nevver
- cake-of-rin reblogged this from dragonflyeyes
- dragonflyeyes reblogged this from missmadhatter4life
- livinginafairytaleofsparklez reblogged this from nevver
- livinginafairytaleofsparklez likes this
- bloodrussian likes this
- sailing-my-ships likes this
- zabidre likes this
- dragonflyeyes likes this
- scienceaberration71 reblogged this from missmadhatter4life
- artfreak17 likes this
- missmadhatter4life reblogged this from roccoisstoned
- cloudedbrilliance reblogged this from nevver
- gracefree reblogged this from nevver
- gracefree likes this
- providential-perchance likes this
- aballofhappiness likes this
- aballofhappiness reblogged this from thehiphippie
- divinusrayven reblogged this from impalagirl
- divinusrayven likes this
- broaadchurch reblogged this from chronicallyannoyed
- young-eternal reblogged this from nevver
- chiba-33 likes this
- natthebuddhist reblogged this from nevver
- melindaelena reblogged this from nevver and added:
- sassyjasmine reblogged this from nevver
- sassyjasmine likes this